Monday, January 4, 2010

Taking Inventory

Two years ago my friend joined a group called Celebrate Recovery created by The Purpose Driven Life’s Rick Warren. She has grown immeasurably since joining. One thing she told me about the other day was taking inventory of her life, especially of how she has grown from last year to this.

Unlike resolutions, an inventory is simply a way of making sure you are on track to reach your goals you have already set and evaluating where you are on your journey, whether spiritually, physically, in relationships, career, or any other goal a person might have made.

Unfortunately my inventory was so depressing I cannot bear to post it here. Suffice it to say, I did not get a book contract. That goal makes all others pale in comparison. The factors that determine whether a book is picked up by a publisher or not are not completely within the author’s control, especially in such tough economic times. But that doesn’t take the sting out of the rejection or the amount of time I am further behind in seeing an actual book on a shelf. I did procure an agent. I wrote the first draft of a new book. After focusing my energies in building a web presence and trying to publish the books already finished, that one is still in a rough, hideous state.

I will continue in 2010 to hone my skills and grow in the craft. If something doesn’t change soon, I will be forced out of the house and back to the nine-to-five grind. Since I would rather eat barbed wire, I trust this sense of urgency will propel me to take drastic measures, like actually fastening my rear to the chair and focusing on my writing.

What about you? Are you on the right path to end up where you want to go? What resistance do you regularly face? What can you do today that will put you on the fast track to your goals?

Here’s to a blessed, beautiful and healthy 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment